It’s winter in Minnesota, which means less time spent outside and more time working on indoor house projects. If you’re looking for an easy weekend project, look no further: today we’re going to give step-by-step instructions for installing a stylish, built-in window seat.
The need for more storage is a universal one, and adding that space in a window seat is a smart move. Not only will it provide a comfortable and enjoyable place to sit, but it doesn’t take up much square footage, and can be easily customized to fit the available space. And by using prefinished stock cabinets, you’ll ensure a high-quality look with much less work.
Read on for instructions on installing a custom window seat. Don’t buy new tools to get this quick and easy project done – visit our online equipment rental catalog for our full selection of tool rentals at affordable prices!
- Measure the space and purchase the appropriate cabinets and trim boards. This Old House recommends 18-inch-deep by 24-inch-high American Woodmark cabinets.
- Construct a 4-inch-tall U-shaped platform using 2x lumber, on which the cabinets will sit. Drill screws into the floor at an angle to ensure that the platform is secure.
- Assuming that you’re using four cabinets, arrange the two center cabinets next to each other and drill them together through the adjoining side panels. Then place the end cabinets next to the center cabinets.
- Depending on the layout of your cabinets, you may need to screw 3-inch filler strips to the center cabinets’ face frames in order to ensure that all doors can open. Then, secure the end cabinets to the filler strips.
- Secure the entire unit to the back wall, using two-inch deck screws drilled through the rear panels into wall studs.
- Place toekick molding over the platform.
- Add a sturdy top, and secure it by fastening wood cleats to the wall in the open corners. Then, secure the center panel to the cleats and the side panels to the end cabinets, and add trim to the outer edges.
- Cover the top with pillows or cushions, and enjoy!
No matter your DIY project needs, Broadway Rental has you covered! We carry a wide selection of rental tools and equipment, and our simple rental process will make your project easy and affordable. Give us a call at 763-533-1680 to get started!